Friday, June 15, 2012

June Challenge - Day 15

Day 15 – Hobbies



I think I have too many hobbies or maybe I have an over-stimulated brain. My oldest hobby has been reading. I have enjoyed reading since I was very young. I can thank my mama for instilling this interest in me at a very young age. I read anything I could get my hands on including her trashy romance novels. I loved being transported to other countries and living the life of the rich and famous.


From reading, I found myself writing. And depending on my muse, I can write for days on varying things. Truth be told, I have started 3 books and haven’t finished any of them. One day… So to keep the juices flowing I write the editor’s note for my book club newsletter and I keep two blogs. The anonymous blog has more of my more personal writings and stories. They are definitely not PG. LOL! Right now my muse has been whispering in my ear a story and eventually I will succumb to the nagging and put thoughts to paper. My dream is to retire to the Bahamas and write and read everyday God allows me to.


Prior to my aunt passing, I picked up the idea to do some container gardening. It was to be another outlet for the stress and angst I was feeling during that time. I did okay that first year, but you have to go back and read my tomato/hornworm diabolical. Since that year, I have continued to study and continue my container gardening as well as this year doing my first raised garden. And you have seen how that is going. It isn’t perfect, but I am learning so much. Time in my garden calms my soul and spirit.


Probably my most impressive hobby is my book club. Started 13 years ago with only 10 newsletters sent out to close friends turned into 14 members in the beginning and has had over 20 at one point in time. I like our 13 members now. It is more intimate and folks are more committed to reading and attending this bonding experience. It has been hard work, sometimes thankless work as well. I have dealt with issues that have threatened to cause me to disband, but I have to always weigh the good vs. the bad and typically the good we do far outweighs the bad. We have done a lot for our community, been resources for members, a support system for members and a good resource for African-American literature. We have experienced firsts with each other, shed tears, laughed hard but we have managed to maintain our sisterhood. Although, I have purposely scaled back on our social and fundraiser forays we still do what we can for others and have bonding events to keep the spirit and vitality of the group alive. And hell, I finally updated the website after a year of trying to do so.


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.