Saturday, June 16, 2012

June Challenge - Day 16

Day 16 – Childhood Memories



My childhood memories start when I was about 4 and I remember always being with my grandmother. I remember her loving cantaloupe and always giving me some of the juicy fruit to eat. I remember living in the projects and playing outside with my host of friends. I also remember having worms and being scared to go to the bathroom and having to take these nasty pills so they would go away. I remember my grandmother being right there with me and pulling them suckers out. I know TMI, but I remember this. I also remember my grandmother trying to make me eat okra. I sat at the table a long time before she gave up on me eating it. I remember traveling to Detroit with my grandmother to spend time with my uncle. That is my earliest memory of loving the smell of flowers and fresh pears from the tree. I also remember realizing my mother was actually my mama. I didn’t know who she was because I was raised essentially by my grandmother. And in typical fashion, I didn’t call her mama or anything for a long time. I still do that to this day with folks. Some habits are hard to get rid of no matter how hard you try. In my case I didn’t even try. I remember when my mother married my stepfather and all us moving to a house not too far from my grandmother’s house. I remember going to a private kindergarten and didn’t cry like all the other kids. Silly kids. I also remember the only time I ever got in trouble in school was when this nasty little boy was spitting on me and I turned around and told him to stop. The teacher hit my hand with a ruler and I will never forget it because to this day, you better listen to my side of the story before you hit or punish me. I remember when my sister was born and when my brother was born. I remember my grandmother walking me to school which was actually one house and one fire department away down the street from our home. I remember my first boyfriend, Rodney Brown, who walked me home from school when I was in the 1st grade. I mean, we walked side by side and he did pass my house on his way home, he was perfect boyfriend material. LOL! I remember my grandmother dying in October of that year. I remember that was when I really realized my mother was my mama.


My childhood was filled with memories like the above. I had a good childhood and things didn’t really start to look shaky until my teenage years when I saw things in black and white. I saw our lives differently. I enjoyed the integration I experienced in Florida, but it spoiled me when I got to Virginia and we only stayed from November until January. Was possibly one of the most painful times of my life, especially as I was beginning to smell my teenage self. Yet, I can still remember playing mama and daddy with my siblings and cousins and making up games to play while we ate, because I was the oldest and the wisest. I had a good childhood with some unforgettable moments. By the way, I can’t stand the smell or taste of cantaloupe and I still do not touch okra whether it is fried or not, all I remember is the slimy version.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.