Friday, March 02, 2007

My Hair Journey and more...

I am fast approaching my 2 month anniversary on March 9th, next Friday. And with each day I am more thankful for my hair and the decision I made to lock it.

First Retightening

I had my first true retightening on February 23rd. By the way, my consultant was able to find her a place less than 5 minutes from her house, so she will still continue to retighten my hair until she thinks I am ready to take the retightening class she teaches. My hair didn’t hurt as badly as the initial retightening. She was able to complete it in 3.5 hours. She had to put in at least 3 locks that had slipped completely and she combined one in the back that was too small in her opinion. I didn’t notice that it was too small, but I am not able to see the back of my head fully. She was amazed at the curliness of my hair. All I could say was it is natural, because I am not doing much to it. Overall, the experience was great. We watched movies and talked. I was delighted to hear that my hair was coming along and there were no flakes. Yeah! She thanked me for taking care of my hair and making her job easy. She also said I did a great job with separating my hair after washing as well. Shoot, I was thinking I thought that was what you were supposed to do. Plus, those who know me and are probably reading this right now, know I have a touch of OCD and I tend to strive for perfection in an imperfect world. Ya’ll I am just glad I don’t have to travel to Georgia or Birmingham for my retightening. It is so true you must Let Go, and Let God! That’s exactly what I did.

My Hair

It still takes me a while to wash my hair because I am vigilant about making sure it is squeaky clean. I will say this journey is teaching me more about my hair. I know I can wash it every other week. I know to combat the flakiness I must braid and bundle in smaller sections in the areas of my head that are more prone to the flakes. I also know that I must let the Nizoral and Sisterlock starter shampoo sit on my scalp and hair for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Although I cannot scrub my scalp I can use enough pressure to ensure my scalp is clean. And let’s not forget the moderate water pressure so I can rinse, rinse and rinse some more. I do have days when my hair is sticking up all over my head, but um, a little distilled water with a few drops of rose water oil is the cure. I freestyle my hair not just because I am lazy, but really I don’t want to over manipulate my hair considering the different textures of hair I possess. So my daily routine is: a multi-vitamin, fish oil and primrose oil pills; fluff and go; spritz with thyme water if I see the beginnings of flakes; spritz of rose water oil w/distilled water as needed; tie up at night with satin scarf and that is it.


Other Folks and my Hair

No negative comments about my hair. I have been called nappy roots, but the poor boy/child’s head needed to be combed so I let that pass. Plus, really I don’t really care what other’s think about my hair, my affirmation is that I love my hair. I have only had two people touch my hair besides my consultant. I was shocked because I expected folks to want to touch my hair, but then I have to remember I ain’t that approachable. Oh, you can approach me, but I don’t give off a vibe where it is okay to put your hands on me for whatever reason.

My other passion

I recently finished writing my book club newsletter article and my sister just edited it for me on Monday. Why did she say it made her cry? I was shocked, because that was not the emotion I was going for. She said the tone of the piece was wistful and full of emotion as well as the memoriam I have in the piece was really good. I hope a few folks will check it out at my book club site; the link is on the right. I wouldn’t check for it before March 10th though because it will take that long for me to update it.

A Big Thank You

I really enjoy reading other SL blogs and learning so much from the veterans. I just want to say they are inspiring, encouraging and educating. I for one want to thank all the SL bloggers because whether they know it or not, they are helping so many of us as we take this natural journey.

In closing…

I still have a hard time keeping my hands out of my hair, but that is because
I loooove my Hair!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Maryee said...

You have such a lovely blog and your sisterlocks are coming along nicely! Keep up the good work! You'll really appreciate the journey as the days, weeks, and years go by! Many blessings to you!

Maryee

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Cashana said...

Thanks Maryee! I know I made the right decision because I smile everyday when I look at my hair.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger CarmenNC said...

I am so glad your consultant found a shop. It's past my bedtime, but I had to keep reading to find out. I am enjoying reading your blog. I don't know why it took me so long to find it. Well, I just SLd March 3 so I guess I'm not that late on finding your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.