Thursday, August 09, 2012

Creative Cooking...My Aunt Marie's Scalloped Potatoes


Scallop Potatoes looking yummy...

This dish is one my aunt used to make consistently when she would make her mouthwatering roast, she baked in the oven. And I promise you she would make it so tender it would melt like butter in your mouth. And she would say all the time, it is the way you cut it that makes all the difference in the world, and you need to make sure you get a roast with some fat on it. Real talk. Her scallop potatoes are not like the ones you buy in the box, but a simpler version, which was always tasty and would make me mad, because there wouldn’t be any leftover.


Ingredients:

3 lg potatoes peeled and diced

Cheese packets from 2 boxed mac and cheese (saved the macaroni for soup)

1 can of cream of mushroom soup

½ of a chopped onion

½ of a chopped bell pepper

1 tbs of sugar

Grated Mild cheddar and American cheese (you can use all cheddar and can go sharper, but I don’t like cheese so my aunt always used a mild cheddar, which isn’t overpowering in taste.

Season to taste

If you look closely, you can see the veggies.

Cut your potatoes into cubes and boil until tender. After chopping up your vegetables, in a sauce pan put in your can of mushroom soup with a ½ can of water, more or less depending on how you want the potatoes soupier or more firm. Mix in your 2 packets of cheese sauce, you can make your own, but my aunt always used the packets from the mac and cheese boxes. Stir until fully mixed added a portion of your veggies and the sugar.
Yummy...
In a greased baking dish, add your seasoned potatoes and the remaining vegetables and pour your cream of mushroom and cheese mixture over the potatoes. Then add your grated cheese to the top of your dish. And place in a preheated oven of 350 degrees until the topping is melted and browned.
Finished dish!

 
Verdict: Um, I love these potatoes and I think you will too!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.