Thursday, July 12, 2012

Creative Cooking...Fresh Tomato Salsa


Fresh tomato salsa using grape tomatoes w/tortilla chips

I figured out what to do with my overabundance of grape tomatoes. Salsa. Simple and plain. Now you know not only is it going to be time consuming and a little more work, but the results I was hoping for would be great. Seriously, co-workers, friends and family are a bit tired of the quart bags of tomatoes. No really. The Guy, who is allergic to them, wanted them for target practice. Um, no. I am not throwing away food if I can help it. So, I decided I was up for the task and found a recipe on Simply Recipes for Tomato Salsa. You know I changed up some things right?


Tomato Salsa as adapted from Simplyrecipes.com

2-3 medium sized fresh tomatoes; i.e. as many grape tomatoes as I can cut into quarters

1/2 red onion, finely diced; i.e. quarter of a small white onion and a quarter of a red onion

1 jalapeño chili pepper (stems, ribs, seeds removed), finely diced i.e. 2 because I couldn’t find any Serano’s at my local grocery

1 serano chili pepper (stems, ribs, seeds removed), finely diced (see above)

Juice of one lime

½ cup chopped cilantro

Salt and pepper to taste

Optional: oregano and or cumin to taste

A pinch of sugar

Teaspoon of cayenne pepper

Quarted grape tomatoes

That is a lot of tomatoes!

I stared by quartering my grape tomatoes. Seriously, it only took about 10 minutes. Then I cut up my jalapenos removing the ribs, stems and seeds dicing them finely. Then I cut up my fresh cilantro. This took about 20 minutes total to cut and dice. As I cut up my ingredients I place them in my mixing bowl. Then I rolled my lime and then squeeze the juice over the cut up veggies. I added a pinch of sugar and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Then I mixed up my ingredients, tasted and added my salt and pepper to taste. Viola! Done.

Let's get to mixing!

Mixing.

Looks great!  Tastes even better!

Verdict: Amazing. I don’t know if I will ever buy bottled salsa again after making it for the first time. Okay, I am lying because I will not always have fresh tomatoes and cilantro on hand. I had all the things on hand except the peppers because my peppers are still growing. Geez, those things take a minute to grow. The freshness of the vegetables made this a stand out. There something about the crispness and pungency of fresh items right out the garden this can enhance a recipe. The only thing was I wished I had kept some of the ribs and seeds in for a spicier salsa. I like hot. Even so, I can say this was a wonderful success and I cannot wait to make it again. Plus, what a good and healthy way to get rid of all my grape tomatoes. Um, I was eating this as dinner and lunch. It was even better the next day, sad to say, but I finished it the next day.  It was that good!

Grape tomatoes make good salsa!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.