Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Creative Cooking...Bourbon Chicken


Bourbon Chicken

A couple of the blogs I read mainly Babs in Blogland and Disco Diva, both raved after making this recipe for Bourbon Chicken. I actually had never heard of this particular dish, but was intrigued that folks loved the outcome of the recipe. Since I needed to add some more recipes to put on this here blog I decided to try it out myself. This simple recipe can be found on food.com.


Ingredients:

2 lbs of Chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces

2 tbs of olive oil

1 ½ tbs of minced garlic

¼ tsp of ground ginger

¾ tsp of crushed red pepper

¼ cup of apple juice

1/3 cup of light brown sugar

2 tbs of ketchup

1 tbs of cider vinegar

½ cup of water

1/3 cup of soy sauce

½ tsp of cornstarch with a tbs of water to make a quick slurry *
You see the Apple Juice mixture as well as the seasoned and cut into chunks chicken.
Bringing it back up to a hard boil

Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add your chicken pieces and cook until brown. Remove chicken once brown and then add the remaining ingredients and on medium heat until mixed and ingredients had dissolved and add the cornstarch slurry. Add chicken and bring to a hard boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Serve over rice, which I used brown rice cooked with carrots, onions and frozen peas with a touch of soy sauce and a tsp of sesame oil.
A closer view of the finished product.

Verdict: When I initially tasted the dish, I was a bit unimpressed. Not that it didn’t taste good, I needed more heat and I made the mistake of making these Sichuan Wonton/Dumplings on the same day and I ate the dumplings for breakfast. So…my initial taste had me concerned the flavor profile would be mild instead of bold. I added the cornstarch slurry and only a small amount to thicken the sauce because to me it was just not thick enough for me and I wanted to drizzle some of the sauce over my brown rice. However, after it sat for a few hours and I ate it as my dinner I was pleasantly surprised because the flavors seemed to meld together after sitting for a few hours and it was very tasty, but I will say next time I will add more heat. I can’t wait until I eat lunch today because I am sure it will be even better.

Because I am trying to be artsy...

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am making this tonight again because it's so delicious and easy.

Did you add the 1/2 cup water? I don't because Babs suggested it and that makes it thicker.

I also caramelized a gang of onions because I love onions and that made it even more delicious.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Cashana said...

Disco Diva - I did add the water, but I think next time I will leave it out, & add onions as well. It was tasty.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Cashana said...

Disco Diva - I did add the water, but I think next time I will leave it out, & add onions as well. It was tasty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.