Thursday, March 29, 2007

You have to excuse my look, but I have a serious sinus infection. Hopefully, you can see that my hair is actually growing.

What's Been Going On?

Well, I haven't been doing too much since my last post. Although I can now use my desktop computer at home and I am able to use my computer at work. I was without my computer at work from Monday afternoon until Thursday. You don't miss something until it is gone. Although I was happy to have my computer back, I did lose almost all my work, statistical forms and saved email. When I realized that my stuff was gone, my whole facial expression changed. Pure despair. So the last week has been filled with realizing when I go to complete a task, I don't have a sample on my computer. :::whispering:::I did finally get some new programs on it like powerpoint and frontpage. I can update my site from work now. Yeah! :::sorrytooloud:::whisperingyeah:::

I had a retightening on March 20th. No big changes. My consultant asked what changes have I noticed and I felt kinda bad, because I really couldn't answer the question. I responded by saying the texture felt different and they are starting to look bigger. Although I still have to wash and rinse my hair a lot. So it is still taking me 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours to wash, rinse, band and unband my hair. The dandruff is doing better and the itchy scalp has truly calmed down. I can tell when I need to wash because I begin to itch and scratch. I wash every other week. And yes, I still dread doing it. Can't help it. When I can get the washing down to and hour or so, I'll feel better about the technique. Only problem she saw was lint in several of the locks in the back. All I know it is not from sleeping on linty stuff, it is from wearing sweaters and such. I am going to hope it comes out when I wash otherwise not much I can do about it. I am paying particular attention to the items I am wearing to decrease lint. I saw on Lock-It-Up about using the ACV rinse and it seems to help folks. I'll have to try it out.

Another question that seems to be coming up regularly on Lock-It-Up is the workplace and one's Sisterlocks. I knew several years ago I was going to lock my hair, albiet initially traditional locks. One of the reasons I procrastinated on doing so, was I knew I would be working in a legal field after I finished law school. I wanted to be able to find work without my hair being an issue. So I started wearing microbraids when I started law school so I would not have to worry about my hair for 3 years. When I finished school, I knew there was only a 25% chance I would actually practice as a litigator, but I knew I enjoyed legal research. So with that in mind I continued to wear my braids and would later change to kinky twists after I got the position I hold now, as a Legal researcher for a state agency. I realized without perming I could grow my own hair out and really look at getting locks. I no longer was concerned about what folks thought about my hair, because it was my hair and as long as it didn't look unkept there was no cause for concern. So when I returned to work with my Sisterlocks, after wearing an afro puff for a month, I already had a swagger in my walk and was prepared for whatever anyone dished out. Don't get me wrong I was preparing to purchase a wig if I was too scalpy, but when my locks were completed the thought of that went right out the window. I looked good and I was loving my hair. So when my consultant asked about responses, all I can say is they have been positive. Work folk love my hair. I mean love it. What I am noticing is that if you are uncomfortable with your locks from the beginning you will feel like that for the entire process, unless you embrace the uniqueness and not compare your hair to someone elses. Locking one's hair is not a decision to be made on the fly. You need to do your research and do some inner search and know within yourself this is the path you are willing to follow whether others accept it or not, you have to be able to stand TALL regarding your decision to wear Sisterlocks. Even if you feel you have to wear a wig those first couple of weeks, when you can walk with that "I don't care what you think, I look good" swagger you will be glad you can wear your Sisterlocks with pride and strength. What I have notices from being on the group, I lurk, never respond. Is that if the ladies don't do a lot of research and get the locks, they are not happy with them for a multitude of reasons. Reading their questions make me wonder how much time did they put into researching and thinking about the entire process of locking. From the decision to lock, to your consultant, scheduling, maintainence, costs, styling and much more are reasons to really think about before you lock. For example if I hadn't liked my consultant from the initial phone calls to the meetings, I would have not had Sisterlocks, because I would need to deal with whether I wanted to travel to maintain them. Press and Curl were going to be my step-friends again.



As a newbie I just say research the process you choose and do inner search. It is essential.

Well, I'll post again on my 3 month anniversary...

And thanks for welcoming me into Sisterlock family...






Labels:

6 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, Blogger CarmenNC said...

I'm sorry that you lost your information. I've noticed that if you are uncomfortable with your locks or yourself in general that people can pick up on that too. Some days - during my loose days - I didn't care how hideous I knew my hair looked, I still carried myself like my hair was the lastest greatest trend in Hollywood. I did do a lot of research as much as I could because the only people I saw with SLs were on the net. I would think that people who are willing to spend this kind of money on SLs that they would do as much research as they could.

Be easy and take care. I look forward to your next update.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Cashana said...

Thanks. You are so right, if you know it, others will too. I hope they do research and really know this is what they want to do.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Goodnapps said...

You've got some beautiful new locks and wonderful musings. I couldn't have said it better if I tried.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Cashana said...

Thank you Goodnapps!

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger blackrussian said...

You are so right! I did a lot of research before I started my SLs, and have started my own blog as a resource for others. I have told people the very same thing about the decision to lock, and even the decision to 'go natural.' I was going to write my own post about it, and I probably still will, but you said it so eloquently.

I'd like to invite you to visit my blog. If you like what you read, I would appreciate having your permission to reprint your advice and add a link to this post.

Thanks!

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Cashana said...

Thanks for stopping through. I like your site too! And of course you may reprint w/link...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.