Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Music legacy...What songs remind you of something nice, sweet or even bad?

One of my favorite bloggers was on hiatus for a minute and boy did I miss him. Reading his stories I either find myself laughing so hard or wiping away tears because his words touch a part of me which releases some of my pent up emotions. His most recent post was about his dad having a little too much to drink coming into his room reminiscing about music and the stories behind the songs. You know, when you hear a particular song and it brings about a memory of a different time and the effect it had on you. The story was touching and he also talked about the music of our times and our inability to reminisce about music with our children due to the crappy music out there or just music that has no redeeming value. I will be able to, but my songs don’t necessary fill the bill of hip hop, unless you count the old school hip hop, but really I am an old school music lover. I clean my house to Al Green and Marvin Gaye. What? It’s true.

I love old R&B songs because growing up that is what my mother listened to. I mean that is the only way to explain my love for Al Green. I really love Al Green. Put an Al Green song on and watch me start swaying and singing in my off key voice. “Belle” makes me fall to my knees and “Let’s Get Married” is my joint. My cell phone ringtone is “Call Me”. Marvin Gaye was my mama’s favorite and she would sing his songs. I wonder if they are singing together right now in Heaven? Growing up I listened to a lot of blues as well it is funny watching little kids singing about a "Clean Up Woman" and "Tonight’s The Night". Looking back it was funny, but I do remember not singing Millie Jackson’s records. I guess as kids we knew where the line was drawn and Millie was a bit too raunchy for my young ears.

If I had to pick a modern song I would reminisce with younger folks would by "Love" by Musiq Soulchild. I love that song and can listen to it over and over again. It is just plain beautiful and it resonates love. Anyone who knows me personally knows I am a diehard Janet Jackson fan and one of my favorite songs, which I put on my book club’s website from time to time, is "I Get So Lonely". The lyrics along with the tempo of the song make this one of my all time favorites.

"I Get Lonely"

I get so lonely
Can't let just anybody hold me
You are the one that lives in me, my dear
Want no one but you
Sittin here with my tears
All alone with my fears
I'm wonderin if I have to do
Withoutcha
But there's no reason why
I fell asleep late last night
Cryin like a newborn child
Holdin myself close
Pretendin my arms are yours
I want no one but you
I still remember to the day
In fact is was a 3rd Monday
You came along to be the one for me
Now I'm alone
Sittin here by the phone
Call and say that you're okay
So that I'll have the chance
To beg you to stay
I want no one but you
Gonna break it down
Break it down, break it down
Gotta break it down
Break it down, break it down
WhoaYou know
That I know
That I get so lonely thinking of you
Oh-hoohNoowhoahooo. . .

There are probably a few other songs to add but don't have the time right now. However, I am glad I was born in the late 60s okay 1969, and have music from the past to pass along to my nieces and younger family members. I mean I have been saying for a minute now that Hip Hop is dying and it shouldn’t die like this with nothing to offer the future. So Bruthacode thank you for taking me down memory lane.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Blogger Sis. RJQueen10 said...

Cashana,

Okay, here is my song, Song, SONG! you can find the vocals at Chosen Vessel's Sisterlock Pilgrimage:
www.chosenvessel06.blogspot.com She has play list attached to her blogspot and the following song is there:

KIRK FRANKLIN LYRICS

"Something About The Name Of Jesus"

[chorus:] There is something about the name Jesus
Something about the name Jesus. It is the sweetest name I know
Oh how I love the name Jesus, Oh how I love the name Jesus
It is the sweetest name I know.

Some people say I'm crazy but, I can't explain the power that I feel when I call your name ( when I call your name) said it's just like fire shut-up in my bones. The holy ghost is moving (yes it is) and just won't leave me alone. There's something

[chorus ]

Said it's sweeter than honey from a honeycomb. I can feel the holy ghost moving and it won't leave won't leave me alone (no, no, no, no, no, nooo) at the name of Jesus (ooohhh) every knee has got to bow (got to bow) so you don't have to wait till the fire comes you can call on him shout praise him do it right now.


[chorus:] Something about the name Jesus, something about the name Jesus. It is the sweetest name I know Oh how I love the name Jesus , Oh how I love the name Jesus. It is the sweetest name I know, I know, I know, I knoooowwwwww

[repeat chorus ]

It is the sweetest name I knooooowwwwwww
[repeat 5 times ]

[Break it up ]

Oh I love the name Jesus (Jesus)
oh (oh)
oh (oh)
Jesus


This is the first gospel song I listened to and really felt the Holy Spirit move within myself. I cry and smile at the same time for a song that I was able to find that expresses my love for Jesus's name!

Sis. RJQueen10

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger CarmenNC said...

Most Barry White songs because my parents used to dance to those - 'Look at Her' 'September'. Shalamar 'Don't Disturb This Groove' and Switch 'There'll Never Be A Better Love' as a kid would make me think of being an adult and being in love with someone. Rose Royce 'I'm Going Down' in Carwash. Whenever there's a song needed during making a joke - I pull from The Wiz. Slick Rick's 'Hey Young World' was so different for me coming up. The positive lyrics and piano, I wanted to be one of the dancing girls with Slick Rick on jeans with torn knees. Mariah's Dream Lover - all girls had a crush on this one guy and we named him Dream Lover. That song makes me giggle still. Toni Braxton's '7 Whole Days' if I didn't see or hear from a guy or I would stop seeing or calling a guy - this song would be sung to and by my friends. My current theme songs is Beyonce's 'Get Me Bodied, Kelly's 'Like This', and Prince's 'International Lover'.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Cashana said...

RJ Queen - See music in any form that makes you feel good is good music!

CarmenNC - If I had thought a little bit longer I would have a list of songs that mean something or reminds me of someone! Maybe in another post I'll do just that.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

I'll try to keep it short and simple, 'cause I looove music:

My worship mood - Marvin Sapps' "You are God alone"; my nostalgic mood - Beatles' "Starting over"; my quirky mood - Supercalifragilistikexpialidoshus - Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins; my romantic mood - Air Supply songs; my break-up closure mood - Mariah Carey's "Shake it off" or Alicia Keys' "Karma"; and my yardie mood - Tessane Chin's "Secret Hideaway"/Beres Hammond songs/Luciano's songs.

As Bob Marley sang in "Trenchtown Rock": "One good thing about music, when it hit you, you feel no pain."

One love.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Ms Stella said...

I love music too. I grew up listening to Al Green, Earth Wind and Fire, The Staple Singers, etc. My parents hid the Millie Jackson and Dolemite albums in the back. I never tried to sneek a listen but I read the album covers and looked at the pictures.

I'm passing on the great R & B classics to my daughter. I have one of Al Greens many greatest hits cd's in my car now. My 10 year old asked me to play Al Green the other day when we were in the car.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Sis. RJQueen10 said...

Cashana,

You have been tagged, check out my blogspot for the rules, and have fun, Fun, FUN!

Sis. RJQueen10

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Goodnapps said...

Smile - you've been tagged. Please share 7 lovely facts about yourself. (6/15/07)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.