Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Creative Cooking…General Tso's Chicken


I seemed to have found a true liking to cooking and eating Asian type dishes, that I would normally only get from the Chinese restaurants. However, making them yourself is quite fun. I was perusing the internets and found a recipe for General Tso’s Chicken from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen.

Ingredients: as adapted from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com

 1/2 cup garlic hoisin sauce

 1/4 cup white vinegar

 3 tablespoons soy sauce

 3 tablespoons sugar

 2 tablespoons cornstarch

 1 1/2 cups water

 1 1/2 pounds (about 4) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces

 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

 2 tablespoons of minced garlic

 1 tablespoons powdered ginger

 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

For Frying:

 1 1/2 cups cornstarch

 1/2 cup all purpose flour

 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

 4 cups vegetable oil

 1-2 green onions, thinly sliced

 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds

Combine your hoisin sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch and water. Salt and Pepper your chicken pieces and allow it to sit in the fridge for an hour or overnight. Then in a saucepan combine your sauce and add your garlic and ginger until fragrant. You sauce will thicken.

To fry your chicken, I veered away from Sweet Pea’s recipe by only coating my chicken with the cornstarch, flour and soda. I fried them until golden brown and drained on a paper towel.

Once frying is completed I used my warm sauce to coat the pieces thoroughly and served with brown rice, garnished with sesame seeds and green onions.

Verdict: Amazing. It looked and tasted fantastic. The flavor was superb.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks delish and doesn't sound too hard. I love to cook, but Chinese dishes intimidate me for some reason. This would go nicely with your egg rolls.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Cashana said...

Mrstdj - I seem to be able to manage cooking Chinese dishes pretty easily. Which is surprising, but once you have the staples on hand, it is pretty easy. I did a variation of this with beef this weekend and it was yummy. Only thing I realize is I do not like 5 spice seasoning, so I completely eliminate that from recipes. But I plan to experiment with a few more dishes soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.