Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Creative Cooking…Beef and Broccoli


Beef and Broccoli or Broccoli and Beef...

You ever see recipes post multiple times on Pinterest and think maybe I should try it? Well, that is exactly what happened to me. I have probably eaten Beef and Broccoli in a Chinese restaurant once. However, I was looking for an easy lunch for the following week and this recipe fit the bill. I enjoy making Asian dishes because when you go to the restaurants you can’t control the sodium and by making these dishes I at least have some control over the sodium.


Ingredients: As adapted from Simply Recipes

1 lb of top sirloin, sliced thinly

1 lb of frozen broccoli florets (you can use fresh, but I had frozen on hand)

2 tbs of Canola Oil

2 teaspoons of minced garlic

1 teaspoon of cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tbs of water

Beef Marinade:

1 ½ tsp of low sodium soy sauce

1 ½ Rice Wine Vinegar

½ teaspoon cornstarch

1/8 of ground black pepper

For the sauce:

2 ½ tablespoons of oyster sauce

1 ½ Rice Wine Vinegar

1 ½ Tbs of slow sodium soy sauce

¼ cup of chicken broth

½ teaspoon of chili paste

First you need to marinate your beef in the marinade ingredients for 10 minutes or so and be sure the beef is coated in the marinade.

Prepare you sauce while you beef in marinating. Stir in the all the ingredients of the sauce in a small bowl.

Since I used frozen broccoli I put the bag, pierced, in the microwave for a minute to thaw, but not completely thawed. Then I drained it preparing it for the dish.
Bringing it to a boil so it can thicken...

In a large fry pan over high heat until a bead of water sizzles and immediately evaporates then add your cooking oil and insure the pan is coated. Then add your beef to the pan and try not to have the beef touching. Let the beef cook on one side without disturbing for a minute. Then flip the beef over and add your garlic and let it fry for a minute or so or until the beef is no longer pink. Pour your sauce into the pan along with your broccoli and bring to a boil. Make your cornstarch slurry and pour into the pan and cook until the sauce boils and thickens. And serve over rice. I used brown rice with my usual carrots, onions, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
Yummy goodness...

Verdict: Delicious! It was quite tasty and easy to fix. Next time I will add a little fresh ginger to the marinade and I added the chili paste because I like heat and it add just a touch of heat without it being overpowering. Using the lean beef and low sodium soy sauce helps keep this a bit healthy. And over rice it is quite yummy. Let me know if you try it!

Easy and tasty...

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger Faith said...

You make the best dishes! I really need to try my hand at a few of your recipes!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Cashana said...

Faith - please do because most of them are pretty good. I need to get better at posting the recipes that fail too, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.