Monday, August 22, 2011

Creative Cooking...Sesame Chicken

I haven’t been doing as much cooking lately, because it is just so damn hot which means I ain’t trying to heat the house through trying to cook. If I do cook it is late at night. This week I wanted to make my own Sesame chicken and since chicken breasts were on sale, this was the perfect time. I scoured the Internet searching for the perfect recipe, but I was finding recipes doing entirely too much. I wanted simple. Wasn’t that easy either, so I basically used a portion of the recipe as found on the Crepes of Wrath site and a mixture on what I was seeing on Allrecipes.


1 tablespoon soy sauce

2 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon maple syrup

1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder I couldn’t find this so I left this off

2 tablespoons sesame seeds

1 pound chicken breast

2 tablespoons flour

2 teaspoons peanut oil canola

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 chopped green onion

Added: 1 teaspoon of Sesame oil, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon oyster sauce, garlic powder, teaspoon of cornstarch. I also doubled the recipe to insure I had enough sauce.
My sauce.  Like my little whisk...me and my gadgets.

I mixed my soy sauce, water, maple syrup, garlic powder, ground ginger, sesame oil, brown sugar, oyster sauce and set aside. Then I mixed my flour and cornstarch together with black pepper and heated up my pan with canola oil. I floured my chicken breast which were cut into cubes and fried them in the canola oil until brown.
Browned chicken

Once all of the chicken was cooked I return them to the pan, which had very little oil left and added my sauce coating the chicken pieces with the sauce. Once completed coated I sprinkled my sesame seeds and added my green onions. I served it over some brown rice that I added soy sauce and sautéed onions, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms and a pinch of sugar to.
Coated Chicken

Brown rice with veggies
Finished dish
Verdict: Remind me that Sesame oil is strong. I used a bit too much, it didn’t make it too bad though, thank goodness. It actually tasted like the take out you get often from local Chinese restaurants. I was pleased with its outcome. Now I want a wok just so I can brown chicken like they in the restaurants.

Yummy!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Looks good, your making me hungry!

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Cashana said...

It tasted good to V. I would actually make it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.