Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Creative Cooking…Asian Honey Chicken




Those of you reading my blog know, I love cooking Asian dishes because they seem to be simply and tasty and for the most part healthy. This time I am embarking on Asian Honey Chicken. Trying to find a recipe that wasn’t too labor intensive or with an over abundance of ingredients proved to be almost daunting, but I finally found one that worked for me. Blogchef supplied me with a quick and easy recipe, although they named their version Chinese Honey Chicken.

Ingredients:

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1” chunks)

Oil (for deep frying)

Batter-

4 tablespoons cornstarch

¼ cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ cup water

½ teaspoon salt

1 egg

1 egg white

Sauce-

1 ½ tablespoons oil

2 teaspoon ginger (minced)

3 tablespoons garlic (minced)

1 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons honey

1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar

½ cup water

1 teaspoon cornstarch (mixed with 1 teaspoon water)

Crushed red pepper flakes to taste

Sesame seeds (for garnish)

First mix up your Batter, which is the cornstarch, flour, baking powder, water, salt and an egg. I didn’t use the extra egg white, because I figured too much egg will lead to an allergic reaction from moi. You have to let the batter sit for at least 30 minutes. During the wait time you can cut up your chicken breasts. And then you need to heat up your oil for deep frying your chicken breast. Because of the batter, you should really deep fry. Once your batter has sat for the 30 minutes, put your chicken in the batter in batches you will be cooking. Coat the chicken thoroughly and place in your hot grease and cook until done.

As you are frying up your batter dipped chicken, heat up oil for your garlic and ginger. And sauté for about 30 seconds and then add water, rice wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, honey and salt. Mix your teaspoon of water and cornstarch together for your thicken agent and add to your mixture and simmer until thicken.

Once all your chicken and your sauce are done toss chicken in honey sauce and garnish with sesame seeds and serve over rice, I used brown rice. Viola! Done!

Verdict: Very tasty. Not sure how it will be if not eaten immediately because I fear the batter will come off. Tender chicken pieces in a nice sweet sauce. I added the red pepper flakes for a little heat and it was pretty good. This is one of those dishes you can prepare quickly and at the last minute because most of keep the ingredients in house. Try it out.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.