Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Creative Cooking...Peanut Butter Cup Truffles


The one candy bar which I love dearly, but rarely partake is Reese’s peanut butter cups. So while I was on Pinterest, I noticed the exorbitant amount of pins for these peanut butter truffles. After a few days of fantasying about making them I decided to try them out. I learn a couple things about myself from doing this and I will expound on it at the end of this post.


I got the recipe from Six Sisters Stuff, which has an array of interesting recipes to indulge in when you feel the need to cook up something. The ingredients were simple and I had most of the items already on hand.

Ingredients:
Peanut Butter Cup Truffles from sixsistersstuff.com

2 sticks of butter

1 lb of powdered sugar

1 cup of peanut butter (used an all natural kind)

Graham cracker crumbs (yeah, I cheated and got them already in the box. A whole box of graham crackers costs $4.89, ridiculous!)

Dipping chocolate
Butter, grahram cracker crumbs, peanut butter and powdered sugar mixed together

Basically I followed the directions from the site. I mixed my butter, sugar, peanut butter and graham crackers together. Then I rolled into balls, but I wasn’t consistent in size. I’ll explain later. I placed them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Once all rolled, I placed them in the freezer for about 45 minutes. After this time, I melted my semi-sweet chocolate chips and readied my peanut butter balls for dipping. This is when shyte took a wrong turn. It took me 2 hours to get all the balls covered because…I will explain later. I had to keep putting the peanut butter balls back in the freezer and reheating my chocolate, so not good before they were as covered as I felt like doing. Yeah, I was over these Peanut Butter Truffles, way over them. Once they were all finished and set up, I placed them in an air tight container and kept them in the freezer.

All rolled up!  No there isn't a picture of them covered in chocolate before being put back in the freezer.  Chocolate was everywhere!

Verdict: Very tasty. If you crave peanut butter cups, this will satisfy such a need. I can pretty much promise you I will not be making these again. I learned my patience isn’t longer than a gnat and my OCD tendencies really can get the best of me. This was the messiest dish I have ever made. Rolling the peanut balls wasn’t a problem, really that part was almost cathartic, but trying to make the balls uniform, my patience cannot take that. However, I must have made a grave mistake in using the semi-sweet chocolate chips, which I had on hand. I think I should have used the milk chocolate because of the melting point. Rolling the pb balls in the chocolate sent me over the edge! I deplore things on my hands. No really, the chocolate on my hands was doing too much and I was truly upset while making these pb balls. The more I washed my hands, seems like the more the chocolate would be attracted to my hands. It took 2 hours because I would have to stop every few minutes to wash my hands. This was just too ridiculous for words and my patience had already run out. I even tried skewing the balls, but they would start to crumble, which means I needed to add some butter or something. And rolling them around in the stiff chocolate just got on my nerves. I will say they were delicious and the kids like them. However, I will not be making anything sweet any time soon. My patience can’t handle it.

Best picture I could come up with, because I was so over these!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.