Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Being Re-Victimized...

I have wanted to blog, but it seems as if the thieves who broke into my home in August are still gunning for my ass in an effort to steal my identity and my good credit.


As I told the detective handling my case, it is as if every piece of mail, call or anything remotely dealing with the break in, feels like a re-victimization each and every time. Each and every time.

With one of my credit cards I have the credit report and monitoring and when I received a letter stating there had been inquiries, my mind went into a tailspin. Never mind that the letter was dated the same day I was contacted about the applications, it still felt like I was getting hit all over again. Then the letters denying the applications started arriving. Another moment of panic set in. I contacted a bank they were trying to open an account with and after being transferred and waiting what seemed like a lifetime, they informed me they were indeed using my address to garner the credit. I immediately lost it. I called the detective frantically and several times until he called me. I needed to know if they were going to hit my house again, because Jesus, I couldn’t handle that again because my well-being and frame of mind are fragile right now. He reassured me, that isn’t how thieves work and they had to use my address because it is what my credit is associated with and what they usually do is have a different shipping address for information and they think the only correspondence is only through email. He apologized for me being victimized yet again. He wanted to send a car out to take my statement and get the information they would need for snagging the culprits, but I told him let’s wait until the next week. Again, I wasn’t able to eat, concentrate or feel secure in my home all weekend.

I cannot describe this feeling of anger, regret and insecurity I feel right now. I do what I need to do every day, but a sense of panic sets in when I go home and there is mail in my mailbox or an unknown call on my cell phone. I hate feeling like this. I feel like a wimp, who actually carries a gun that I have a permit to carry. And yes, I do know how to use it. I am not John Adams' niece for nothing. But this fear is damaging. Trust is nonexistent. Anyone who walks down my street is suspect.

Up until September 13, I was feeling a bit secure about my home with the new deterrents in place. However, when my neighbor came over on September 12th and told me she had gotten burglarized as well, I was surprised and angry. They hit her for far more than they got me for. I was angry that this retired school administrator has to walk around with a damn gun too, because folks do not respect other’s property. I was mad. Then I got two calls on the 13th about folks applying for credit in my name. On Sept. 13th I froze my credit. Now even I can’t get credit in my name. So imagine my surprise that a major bank calling me on the 14th about me supposedly opening an account in my name. I spent 30 minutes proving who the hell I was and the fact I didn’t open an account with them. After they froze the account, and I got off the phone with them I set in my car crying. This shit had gotten out of hand. Then my sister called me and said she had a fraud alert on her debit/credit card that caused her anxiety I realized no one is safe from folks stealing from you. And if R…y gets into office this shit will get worse.

I am not myself right now. The thieves took more than just a few things from me, they took my security and one can’t get that back overnight. I went to the police station to do the supplemental report for identity thief and to get a copy of my police report. I was nervous about doing it, but I prayed on it and it took about 15 minutes and Officer Washington understood what I was feeling. I just want these motherfuckers to leave me the hell along. I don’t bother anyone and I mind my own business, but this shit right here? Is doing too much. When I gave her all my information I walked out of the police station with my head held higher because I was taking one step at a time in regaining my life back. This situation has changed my life and not for the best. Imagine being creative in hiding your personals and important documents. I shred shit that I shouldn’t shred due to my fear. I can’t live like this forever. I am better than the folks who took from me, but I will be damn if they take my good name with them that is not for them to take. Slowly but surely, I will be taking back my life and living to the fullest.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Blogger Clarinda said...

Catching up on your posts and wanted to say I can sympathize and empathize with you. I have been a victim of multiple burglaries but not identity theft. In that case, for me bad credit was a blessing...lol Hang in there girl!!!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Cashana said...

Thanks Clarinda! I just take each day as it come and hope they catch the idiots!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.