Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Happy Mother Day...To Me?

Over the weekend, I was wished Happy Mother’s Day several times. My kids on my second job did, and they all know there is no way in Hell I have or will have any children, but they said I was their work mom. Aw…Then I commenced to cuss them out for sending out undercooked fries. What? Don’t all mamas do that?


At my local grocery store, one of the guys in the meat department wished me Happy Mother’s day and believe me I never get all up in arms I usually reply casually, “Thank you. Although, I don’t have any I appreciate the sentiment.” He was like, “What? Wow? Why not?” No one really wants to hear the real reason because seriously it is not some long or dramatic story.

When I was younger, I was always a little thinker. I mean I was an only child until I was 4 years old and my sister came along and prior to that time I was being raised by my grandmother. You know how much she played with me, so I learned to entertain myself. Even at 4 years old, I said I didn’t want to get married and I wasn’t having children. This has been my mantra for as long as I can remember. In my little, immature brain the thought of being married and being a mother wasn’t something I aspired to do. Don’t get me wrong there have been moments in my life that the mantra got a little shaky, but it has always lived in the recesses of my mind.

I was my sister and brother’s little mama when my mother was working, so my raising kids began when I was quite young. I have been around my young cousins since they were babies and frankly, those are my children. They still call me to talk and hang out. And that was enough of the maternal instinct for me. I love when a new baby comes into the family, but you will not see me running to hold them. Not me. I don’t do that, because I actually am thinking about germs and such. Little boy babies seem to like me the best. Why do the little girls act funny? Don’t ask me. I love my nieces but I pray my sister remains healthy and is around until their adults. Now, I would take over if need be, but um, I ain’t trying to see that happen right now.

In my mind, I have always felt that my purpose wasn’t to bear children, but to be an influence in some child or kids’ life. I have contemplated adoption and fostering kids, but they would not be the babies. I ain’t got the patience. However, my sister scared the bejeezus out of me about fostering or adopting an older child. Seriously, she did put some doubts in my head. So that is out. So I keep my second job and try to be a positive role model on these young kids. And you know what makes me smile? When they come back years later just to say hi to Ms. Cashana.

So it is fine that I don’t have kids and I can’t have any now anyway, but I feel like an amazing woman nonetheless because you don’t have to have children to mother them. 

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 5:19 AM, Blogger V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

When I was young.... I thought the same no kids no marriage. Some time between the ages of 24 and 25 I changed my mind, lol.

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

BTW your locks are absolutely gorgeous.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Cashana said...

V - Hear ya. I had a small moment when I was in my late 20s and was seriously dating someone, but Lawd, I dodged that bullet because we were never engaged and he decided to get someone else pregnant. I was back to no kids for me. With a quickness...LOL! Thanks about the hair I keep it up most days and let it down on the weekends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclosure: Just so we are all clear any opinions or thoughts made on this blog or site are my own. Comments and statements from third parties may or may not be the opinion of Cashana Musings. I do not get paid to write book reviews or reviews of products or services. All reviews are based solely off my opinion as Cashana of Cashana's Musings. While I may receive review copies of books and even products or services they in no way influence my writing. All items that were received by me for review are disclosed as such. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Currently, we do not do advertisements.